Title of Position Academic Advisor III
Requisition Number BES20200097P
Department Posting Name Advising Administration
Location Main Campus
Recruitment Type External
Position Type This is a Classified, benefits eligible, position.
Grant Funded? No
Hours per week 40
If employee will be working a schedule other than Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pm, specify hours and days to be worked
1) Flexible schedule to accommodate academic advising hours to meet student needs. Currently, a Monday-Friday 8:00 am-5:00 pm schedule; however, occasional evening and weekends may be required.
2) Occasional travel to professional meetings and conferences.
3) Occasional travel between campuses utilizing personal vehicle.
If Temporary, Ending Date
Recruiting Rate $42,500/annualized
Beginning Salary Flexibility Yes
Pay Basis Salary
Required Education Master's Degree
Do you want to allow additional experience to substitute for required education? Other-Per Job Description
Field of Study
MS Office Experience Required Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
Will this position require driving a UT or personally owned vehicle? Yes - Marginal Function
Other Computer and Software Skills Required
Familiarity with a student information system.
Experience and Other Skills Required
1) Master’s degree. At the department’s discretion: a Bachelor’s degree and 6 years of academic advising or related experience may substitute for the Master’s degree.
2) Four years of experience working with college students or adolescents in an academic advising or related capacity.
3) Ability to work with sensitive information and to maintain the highest level of confidentiality.
4) Ability to work in fast paced environment.
5) Excellent customer service skills.
6) High level of accuracy in work.
7) Familiarity with a student information system.
8) Experience with the following Microsoft Office applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
Do you want to allow additional education to substitute for required experience? No
Other Skills Preferred
1) One year of supervisory experience in an institution of higher education.
2) UTSA academic advising experience.
3) Experience leading and completing projects in a higher education environment.
4) Excellent organizational skills.
5) Ability to work independently and as a part of a team.
6) Experience as a proactive self-starter.
7) Demonstrated ability to be open to feedback while maintaining a growth, learning, and change-positive mindset.
8) Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
9) Excellent interpersonal skills with individuals of diverse backgrounds and cultures.
10) Knowledge of university policies and procedures.
11) Experience with Degree Works and Inspire.
Description of Job Duties
Function: To assist with the coordination and occasional supervision of an advising unit, including oversight of assigned staff when requested by the center supervisor; program implementation; handle publicity, data collection, preparation of reports and meeting program objectives; and/or to manage more complex academic advising activities.
Scope: Responsible for working collaboratively across constituencies to develop and implement practical solutions to complex problems; for training and oversight of advising staff when requested; for assisting with implementation and assessment of efficient operations, understanding and communicating the needs of specific populations of students to administrators, implementing and interpreting institutional rules to students, facilitating the exchange of academic advising information to all concerned parties.
1. Provides timely information and advice to students (individually and in groups) regarding the development of educational course/degree plan options, the resources available, and university policies in a way that relates to the student’s developmental stage ensuring their understanding.
2. Subscribe to the core competencies as outlined by NACADA.
3. Manage all aspects of student’s assigned caseload, utilizing advising tools, which involves developing a positive rapport, working relationship with students to foster student success.
4. Assist and support the director in organization, delivery, and assessment of Academic advising services.
5. Communicates coherently, diplomatically and tactfully on a daily basis with students, parents, colleagues, internal and external constituents using effective listening skills and exhibiting a professional courteous demeanor at all times.
6. Train new advisors and serve as a mentor/role model to veteran advisors.
7. Supervision of academic advising team in the absence of or at the request of the director or Academic Advisor IV.
8. Attend and participate in advising professional development opportunities.
9. Perform other duties as assigned.
-Serve on committees relevant to the mission of the unit.
-Represent the unit in community events that may occur outside of normal office hours.
Posting Open Date 02/18/2020
Posting Close Date at midnight on 03/03/2020
Open Until Filled No
The position link is located here: https://jobs.utsa.edu/postings/15350